Version: 1.24update7 Filesize: 34.52MB
- Open Source
- In English
VeraCrypt is a software developed by IDRIX which is headquartered in Paris, France. The software was first released on June 22, 2013, and is a fork or branch of the discontinued project TrueCrypt. The software has made several improvements to its code since then; it has also fixed the issues raised by the TrueCrypt project. The software is optimized for implementing cryptographic functions and other types of codes which can boost the CPU performance. The software is written in C++, C, and Assembly level language, and is compatible with Windows XP and above, macOS 10.7 and above, FreeBSD and Linux based operating systems.
VeraCrypt is an encrypting software which comes with the on-the-fly-encryption technology, shortened to OTFE, it is available as a Freeware and has an open-source code. The software is capable of encrypting the entire storage (only for Windows) of a PC with authentication-before-booting, or even a partition by either directly encrypting the partitioned storage or by creating an encrypted virtual disk that would exist in another file. The latest version of the software was released on August 7, 2020.
- VeraCrypt is capable of on-the-fly encryption which means that files can be encrypted or decrypted while being written or being loaded from the drive, respectively. The data is encrypted and decrypted smoothly without the user’s interference.
- You may have a time constraint but not VeraCrypt; you can stop any encryption or decryption anytime you want the software will automatically start it later from where it was interrupted when you have time.
- The software also enables you to create a hidden volume is encrypted data, which makes it hard for attackers and other hackers to find, or identify.
- VeraCrypt can be used in a portable mode so that you can carry the software anywhere in USB flash drive and use the software without having to install the software on the software.
- The software enhancements are continued from where the main software TrueCrypt left off; it uses advanced encryption to protect the data from brute-force attacks.
- The encryption and other software securities that are applied to a partitioned space delay the processing of the files in it a little bit, but it does not affect the speed of the other files and space on the drive that is not encrypted.
How to download and install VeraCrypt on PC?
- 1. Click the download button given on the top-right corner of the page.
- 2. The installation setup of VeraCrypt starts downloading.
- 3. After the VeraCrypt setup is downloaded, run the installer
- 4. The software asks for End Users Agreement, click on I Agree to continue with the installation process.
- 5. Select the mode in which you want to open the setup. If you select Install, the software is installed in your system.
- 6. If you select Extract the software is only extracted and is not installed in the system, this kind of installation can be used to run the software in the Portable Mode.
- 7. Once the installation is complete, you're ready to encrypt and hide files.
- Detailed guides
- Support and guidance available from dedicated forums
- Able to encrypt whole volumes on-the-fly
- Slow to operate
- Not for beginners