- Open Source
- In English
Psi is a software developed by the Psi Team and was initially released on 7 July 2001. The software is an instant messaging client that is used for the XMPP (Extensive Messaging and Presence Protocol) used with some services like Google Talk. The XMPP uses the Qi toolkit, and that is how Psi is compatible with the protocol. Psi can run on multiple platforms, including Windows, Linux, OS/2 (ArcaOS and eComStation), and macOS. The software has a customizable interface to various degrees, which allows the user to make it as comfortable as possible. The software is written in C++ and Qi. It is available in many languages, including Czech, Chinese, English, French, Polish, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Spanish, etc. it is available with the GPL v2 License.
The software comes with ready-to-install packages in RPM and deb formats for Linux operating systems with successful ports to others like FreeBSD, Haiku, Sun Solaris. The software is an open-sourced one, and therefore it is present for the common public, and anyone can tinker with it and thus, many new versions have started getting forked up from the actual one with features that maybe become available with the future official versions. A Greek letter is used in the software logo to depict the name 'Psi,' and this letter is 23rd in the Greek Alphabet (Ψ).
- The software can be seen right on the desktop or home screen on almost every operating system, which means it can connect and install from all of them, such as Windows OS, macOS, or any UNIX based system.
- The software is built in the Unicode International Text Standard, which makes it possible to be edited by anyone worldwide. The software has gotten a lot of support from its large community, which has made it possible to convert it into so many languages. The software also supports accents, symbols, and even right-to-left side writing for some languages.
- The software comes in a highly customizable interface, which gives the user the ability to control what goes on with the app. You can select the theme, icons, emojis, or emoticons as you wish. Some users have also provided the software with icon sets to choose from, which can match your personality or mood.
How to download Psi for your PC?
- 1. To download Psi, you have to click on the download button on the screen, which will download the Psi installation setup. Click on this downloaded setup to start the installation process.
- 2. If you can't find the setup file in the browser, go to the downloads folder of your PC and double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation process; once the installation wizard gets started up, you need to click on Next when you're shown the welcome note.
- 3. You will find an EULA (End User's License Agreement0 waiting for you on the next screen, which has to be agreed to if you want to continue with the installation. The EULA contains terms and conditions of download.
- 4. Once you've pressed I Agree, you will be taken to the next window where you have to specify the place on your PC where you want the installation files to go. This can be done either by writing the location's path manually or going to the said location with the browse button.
- 5. When the location is specified, click on Install to start the final installation process; once this is done, you can exit the wizard by clicking on Finish. Now your Messaging client Psi is ready to be used.
- Option available to chat on multiple IM and Jabber accounts
- OpenPGP and SSL encryption
- Fully customizable interface
- Strong and big community
- Usage tips available
- Sometimes commands become a little too technical
App Name: Psi (64-bit)
License: Open Source
OS: Windows XP64 / Vista64 / Windows 7 64 / Windows 8 64
Latest Update: 2021-01-31
Developer: Psi Team
User Rating: 3.21
Category: Messaging and Chat