- Open Source
- In English
The operating system is the essential components of a computer system. It is a machine software that administrates hardware and software resources for computer programs and provides standard services. Time-shared operating systems plan machine efficiency activities as well as include processor time allocation, mass storage, printing, and other resources accounting software. We are highly dependent on our computer, and we want the best OS, which we feel comfortable to use and manage our work efficiently. There are many operating systems available that you can use like MS-DOS, Windows, LINUX, Solaris, Symbian and many more. Suppose you love you use LINUX operating system and want the same comfort of using LINUX interface in windows without downloading LINUX OS in your computer. In that case, you can download Cygwin on your Windows pc/Laptop, and you can get Linux environment look and feel on your windows operating system.
Cygwin is a product of Cygnus Solutions; this software is a series of Linux-looking and feel-like tools for Windows. Cygwin is a Linux API layer with extensive Linux API features called DLL. The Cygwin DLL is running on both the new x86 32-bit and 64-bit Windows variations that are available online. This software comprises thousands of packages, including most GNU software, various BSD instruments, an X server and a complete range of X applications. This distribution covers several different applications. You can find software, headers and libraries to write Windows consoles or GUI applications that use essential components of the POSIX API. This software is straightforward to download, install and use. It provides many Unix programs can be easily ported with no extensive changes in their source code, which means that most of the available apps, including the packages found in the app distribution, can be installed and created. You can use one of the Unix shells offered such as bash, tcsh or zsh.
Features of Cygwin
- Beneficial- This software is handy, you get complete look and feel of Linux environment on your Windows OS. The main advantage is you get many features of Linux OS without downloading Linux on your computer.
- Compatible with windows- This software is highly compatible with windows operating system, it is compatible with all the modern versions of windows os.
- Features of Linux- This software provides many features of Linux Operating System, using this tool many Unix programs can be easily ported with no extensive changes in their source code.
- Various Packages- This software comprises thousands of packages, including most GNU software, different BSD instruments, an X server and a complete range of X applications.
How to download Cygwin on Windows?
- 1- Just click on the download button and select a location where you want to download the file.
- 2- After the download finishes, open the Cygwin folder and extract the content from it.
- 3- Now open the Cygwin folder and double click on the Cygwin setup file.
- 4- Now an installation window appears, now agree to License Agreement and select a location for installation.
- 5- It will take a few minutes to install the Cygwin, Click on Finish button after installation.
- This software provides Linux environment look and feels on Windows.
- This software is compatible with many versions of Windows operating system.
- This software provides many features and packages of Linux OS.
- Licensing of this software is complicated.
App Name: Cygwin (64-bit)
License: Open Source
OS: Windows Vista64 / Windows 7 64 / Windows 8 64 / Windows 10 64
Latest Update: 2020-12-18
Developer: Cygwin Team
User Rating: 3.92
Category: Developer Tools